Sunday, March 16, 2008

Yummm...

Beans rinsing, muffins cooling, and bread dough resting. I have been using this nice prepackaged Bob's Red Mill bean mixture to make a thick soup with curry spices and some amaranth thrown in. I top it with raisins, raw pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. SO GOOD. The muffins are whole wheat, bran, raisins, and coconut sweetened with sucanat. The bread is a whole wheat "kneadless" variety which has to rest for at least 8 hours. The recipe is from Mother Earth News/New York Times. Apparently time does the work that kneading would otherwise. I have had ZERO luck with baking bread in the past. I am an anxious sort of person who over-kneads, and ends up with a nice whole wheat doorstop. Maybe not this time -we'll see.
This week has been pretty good. The baby has a cold. It's warmer, and meltier around here which is encouraging. Right now, though, it's flurrying as I watch huge, fat adirondack crows pick at my frozen compost heap. It's really just a big pile of kitchen veggie scraps, because I rarely remember to turn it. A neat thing happened when I dug some soil out of it in the fall for a baby spider plant I had going. A tomato plant sprang right up out of nowhere -it's a foot tall now. That soil is always full of worms too, so it must be pretty good though perhaps neglected.
I am enjoying the time I now have for such things. They are most agreeable pursuits, and the stuff of life -as I see it.

1 comment:

Loribelle said...

Paula,

Thank you for mentioning us on your Web site. We're happy you enjoy Mother Earth News.

Great post on our recipe. We're glad you like it!

Laura Evers
Mother Earth News